Online Membership Application
Why join AWIS GCH ?
AWIS membership is open to all women and men who support equality for women in science, technology, engineering, mathematics , and medicine (STEM). As a member of AWIS, you will:
- Expand your professional network
- Enhance your career development
- Find a mentor
- Develop leadership skills
- Champion the interests of women in STEM across all disciplines and employment sectors
- Strive to ensure that all women in STEM can achieve their full potential
AWIS Gulf Coast Houston Chapter Membership
- Free admission to chapter events (including career development, networking and volunteer events)
- Exclusive members-only invitations to Houston-Area professional meetings and conferences
- Access to a local and national network of successful, supportive AWIS members
- Questions about membership? Contact us at email@example.com
- Join the local AWIS GCH chapter in 2 easy steps:
- Pay your membership dues (we accept credit cards and personal checks)
Through our online store: Credit card payment
Please note that only students members have the option of joining just the GCH chapter, all regular members must also join the national organization.
Join an AWIS GCH committee!
Volunteering on a committee is an opportunity:
- To gain new experiences and/or refine existing skills
- To expand your networks and make important career contacts
- To become more engaged with our chapter and our mission
AWIS GCH welcomes and appreciates any volunteers and has a variety of committees to align with your interests. We ask that volunteers be members.
Interested in volunteering? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Media and Website Committee:
Keep social media and website up-to-date with AWIS GCH events and partner promotions and provide STEM-related content for social media and website.
Time commitment: ~1-2 hours/week/platform, remote
Career Development Committee:
Plan, execute, and promote the career development events held by our chapter geared toward the retention and support of current professionals in STEM careers.
Time commitment: 2 hours/month
Community Outreach Committee:
Plans activities that promote science and science literacy within the local community. Additionally, the committee will also identify volunteer opportunities within the Houston community to engage AWIS GCH members. Past events include volunteering time at the Energy Day Festival, the Houston Food Bank, Hermann Park Conservancy, Taste of Science, and the Scout Fair.
Time commitment: ~4 hours/month
Cultivates relationships with potential donors to obtain sponsorship in support of AWIS GCH mission and events. Maintains sponsor database and ensures appropriate acknowledgement of donations upon receipt.
Time commitment: ~2-3 hours/month, via in-person or remote meetings
AWIS National Membership
At the national AWIS level, we have several categories of membership for individuals who wish to join and support our community and access our exclusive member benefits.
- Education and Professional Development
- Access to AWIS STEMiNARs, the popular continuing education series
- Numerous awards awards and scholarships, including AWIS Fellows and AWIS Educational and Professional Development Awards
- Leadership opportunities through committee and board positions
- Job Search
- Job hunting webinars
- AWIS Career Center
- Advocacy and Public Policy
- Subscription to AWIS in Action!, the advocacy and public policy newsletter
- AWIS Policy Symposium Series (new!)
- Publications and Resources
- Subscription to the AWIS magazine
- Subscription to the Washington Wire – a “one-stop shop” bi-monthly e-newsletter with a collection of timely information and resources
- Networking and Mentoring
- Mentornet (for student members)
- AWIS online communities on LinkedIn, Facebook, and MySciNet
- AWIS membership directory
- Member-exclusive programs and events
National AWIS dues range from $65 for Junior members to $150 for Professional members.
To become a member:
- If you are a student, check out the list of universities that are institutional partners of AWIS. Check the university listing, or encourage your university to participate! Students of universities that are institutional partners of AWIS receive complimentary AWIS National membership. If you are a student at an AWIS institutional partnered university, contact email@example.com for step-by-step instructions to activate your free national AWIS membership.
- If you are a student at a non-affiliated institution or a professional, you can join the national AWIS organization by filling out the online membership form at the following link: AWIS National
- In the online application, be sure to select the Gulf Coast Houston Chapter as your local chapter!
If you are already an AWIS National member, switch your chapter affiliation to Gulf Coast Houston! Just login to myAWIS, and click on the link to Change your Chapter Affiliation.