The Association for Women in Science Gulf Coast Houston chapter (AWIS GCH) is excited to call for submission for the second year of Excellence in Communication award!
AWIS GCH seeks essays of 700 words or less on the following topic:
“Closing the STEM Gender Gap: Why Is It Important and What Can You Do to Help?”
ELIGIBILITY AND GUIDELINES
- The essay contest is open to female and male undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled in an accredited university/graduate program
- 700 words maximum
- Please provide your submission in a word (.doc, .docx format). The submission must have a cover page and the essay body starting at a new page. Submissions must include the following information:
- Cover Page:
- Full name
- E-mail address
- Student status (undergraduate, graduate)
- Current university of enrollment
- Easy body (700 words maximum) starting at a new page.
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING ESSAY
- Theme must be clearly addressed
- Content must include relevant, authentic information and ideas must be fully developed
- Proper grammar, spelling and punctuation must be consistent with accepted usage
- All written and online sourced materials must be appropriately cited
- 700 word maximum
- AWIS-GCH Executive Board-appointed judges will serve on the panel
- Judging will be “blind” –. Please start your essay at a new page and do not include any identifiers in the body of the essay
- Essays must be received by 5:00 pm (CST) on Sunday, October 22nd, 2017
- Please email your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org
1st Place: Cash Prize of $300
2nd Place: Cash Prize of $200
3rd Place: Cash Prize of $100
Winners will be contacted via email by November 5th, 2017. Award certificates and cash prizes will be awarded to the winners at the prestigious Outstanding Women in Science (OWIS) award and reception ceremony to be held on Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 6-9 p.m (location to be announced soon). Awards will be given out by Dr. Alicia D Monroe, Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic and Faculty Affairs, Baylor College of Medicine. All essay contest contributors are invited to attend the OWIS event.
Winners will also be featured on the AWIS-GCH website for the period of November 14th to December 14th, 2017, and are required to provide a short bio and head shot at that time.
Information about the last year’s winners is available at www.awisgch.org