The Association for Women in Science Gulf Coast Houston chapter (AWIS-GCH) is excited to announce the Annual Award for Excellence in Communication!
AWIS-GCH seeks essays of 1000 words or less on the following topic:
“Identify a female innovator and describe how her contribution impacts your career and goals.”
ELIGIBILITY AND GUIDELINES
- The essay contest is open to female and male undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled in an accredited university/graduate program
- 1000 word maximum
- Submissions must include the following information:
- Full name
- E-mail address
- Student status (undergraduate, graduate)
- Current university of enrollment
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING ESSAY
- Theme must be clearly addressed
- Content must include relevant, authentic information and ideas must be fully developed
- Proper grammar, spelling and punctuation must be consistent with accepted usage
- All written and online sourced materials must be appropriately cited
- 1000 word maximum
- AWIS-GCH Executive Board-appointed judges will serve on the panel
- Judging will be “blind” – names and other identifying information will be omitted before essays are reviewed
Essays must be received by 5:00 pm on Friday, October 7, 2016
Please follow this link to submit your essay online.
1st Place: Cash Prize of $300
2nd Place: Cash Prize of $150
3rd Place: Cash Prize of $50
Winners will be contacted via email by October 20, 2016. Award certificates and cash prizes will be awarded to the winners at the prestigious Outstanding Women in Science (OWIS) award and reception ceremony to be held on October 26, 2016, from 6-8 PM at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in the Hickey Auditorium (1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030; Main Building, Floor 11, room R11.1400). All essay contest contributors are invited to attend the OWIS event.
Winners will also be featured on the AWIS-GCH website for the period of October 26th to November 26th, 2016 and are required to provide a short bio and head shot at that time.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Good luck!